Thursday, October 28, 2010

Norwegian Schools

In 1994, my family traveled to Norway to stay for about 7 months while my Dad had paid leave from BYU to do research for a book that he was writing in Denmark. Since he had to be gone for so long working on his book, it was nice that we were all able to stay in Norway with my Grandma and he didn't have to travel very far to visit us. During those months, all of my siblings and I attended Norwegian schools. My sister Donna and I went to Junior High at a school called Løken Ungdomsskole. We have so many wonderful memories from our time spent there. In 2000, my Dad was the Director of Winter and Spring semesters of BYU's Study Abroad program in London, England and my family was all able to go with him and study there. Afterwards, we were able to spend a month in Norway and that was the last time that Donna and I were able to visit Løken together since we went to school there so it was definitely neat to be there together again. It was fun to walk around the school grounds and reminisce about old times. It was also super fun to show Paul and Porter where I went to school in Norway in 8th grade. Something else pretty neat about Løken Ungdomsskole is that is actually where my Mom went to Junior High as well. We also had the same Principal as she did (Principal Ellingson), and we both had one of the same teachers for Math and Science (Per Jonson).

A couple of days after we took a trip to see our old school Paul, Porter and I took a walk to see the school (Rom Skole) that my two younger brothers went to Elementary School while we were in Norway. I have to say that the walk to that school, which is about a 30 minute walk from my Grandma's house, is the most beautiful walk ever. Most of the time you are walking straight through beautiful forest. The school is actually situated right in the middle of the forest. Here are a couple of pictures on the walk to the school.
And here is the school. When we first got there, we found a little barne hage (day care school) where they had fun playground equipment for Porter to play on. We weren't sure if we were allowed to play there, but no one seemed to care and Porter had a blast. Afterwards we went and played on this absolutely awesome HUGE swing thing that was so much fun. Someday I am getting me one of those! SO FUN!

1 comment:

Shirley said...

That's so cool you got to go and see where you went to school! I love doing those kind of things. It's kind of surreal huh? That park looks like so much fun. The colors in Norway are beautiful!