Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Solveig Irene Schjerven


My Norwegian Grandma Solveig Irene Olsen Schjerven (who we called Mish because we couldn't pronounce her name when we were little) died on October 21st, 2011 in the late afternoon in her home in Askim, Norway.  I can't even describe the feelings that I had when I found out that she had died.  Porter and I were on our way home from spending the morning at Mueller Park when my Mom called to tell me.  It was completely unexpected and she was only 73 years old.  Even though we lived so far apart..I just miss her so much and am still in complete shock.  It's amazing the things and the people that you realize that you have have taken for granted until they are not there anymore.  I have so many regrets.  She had called me just a couple of days before she died, and my phone card had ran out and I hadn't bought another one to call her back yet.  And so I didn't get to talk to her 'one last time.' I think about that everyday and I just get sick to my stomach.  I also had a big pile of pictures and some other things that I wanted to send to her that I never did.  I guess we can all plague ourselves in these kinds of circumstances but I guess it won't do us any good.  I just feel so bad and I hope that she has forgiven me.  I am so incredibly thankful for my relationship with my Grandma.  Even though we lived across the world from eachother, she always was there for us.  She always remembered birthdays, christmas's, and other special days.  She was just such a beautiful person both inside and out.  Here are a couple of pictures of her younger years.  Isn't she so cute!!



Here is Mish and her parents and her Grandma and her sister.  She is the littlest girl in the picture. 

Here is Mish and her older sister Ragnhild.  They were best friends up until the day that Mish died. 



And here are some more pictures of Mish in her younger years. 











Here is Mish with her father Johan. 

And here is Mish with her children.  My mom was the only girl out of 6 children. 



Mish always made us feel so incredibly special.  You can definitely tell from these pictures what a wonderful grandma she was and how much she cared for and loved her grandchildren. 











I love this last picture of Mish and I.  Mish always thought it would be so much fun to go swimming in December.  We talked about doing it all of the time.  Then about 4 years ago, we finally did it.  We went swimming at Deer Creek for a couple of minutes.  It was so incredibly freezing..but we had so much fun!!! :-)   We were so blessed to see eachother at least every 2-3 years growing up which is so incredible when you think about the long distance seperating us.  Here are some pictures from some of her trips to the USA. 


















In 1994, my whole family had the opportunity to live in Askim, Norway at my Grandma's house for 7 months while my Dad was in Copenhagen, Denmark working on writing a book for his dissertation.  I am so incredibly thankful for this opportunity that we had to get to know my Grandma better during this trip and for the memories that we shared during this time. 

Here we are in 2000 when we visited Mish after spending 7 months Study Abroad in London, England. 

The 4 years in a row that I went to Russia (2002-2005), I was blessed enough to visit my Grandma after all but 1 of those trips.  It was so wonderful getting to spend some 1 on 1 time with my Grandma that we didn't get too often.  I treasure those times so much.  We would always make sure to watch the Norwegian series 'Gutter tur', and the Norwegian soap operas..haha.  Mish was a member of the Salvation Army.  I had many wonderful opportunities of attending with her.  She had so many wonderful friends there and everyone loved her so much.  At the end of the meetings there, they would have a raffle where people would donate money to the Salvation Army to enter the drawing to win all kinds of gifts.  Mish was always so cute and would give tons of money for me so that I would win.  I always came home with tons of stuff. 

I remember my last trip to Russia in 2005. I had planned a couple of weeks in Scandinavia with some friends towards the end of my trip where I was going to end up with about a month at my Grandma's house in Norway. Last minute, the girls in my group changed plans and wanted to travel from Finland back to Russia instead of visiting the other Scandinavian countries. I had already been to Finland, Sweden, and Denmark 3 times in the last 4 years so instead of spending the 2 weeks there like I had planned, I hopped on the earliest train from Sweden to Norway and randomely showed up on my Grandma's doorstep without her even expecting me (2 1/2 weeks early).  When she saw me on her doorstep, she started laughing so hard and told me how excited she was to see me so early.  She invited me in and fed me delicious cake right away.  She was so sweet. 

I am especially thankful for our big trip to Norway that we took last year for my Uncle Ole's wedding.  This is when Porter was able to meet my Grandma for the first time.  We were lucky enough to stay with her for a whole month.  When I look through the pictures that we took from this trip and think about the special times that we spent together, I just can't believe how incredibly blessed we were to share this time so recent with my Grandma.  I have so many wonderful pictures and videos of Porter with his Great Grandma that I know he will treasure forever.  I can't even tell you the many hours that my Grandma and I spent talking in the kitchen, and going through pictures and recipes on this trip.  I think about these moments every day and I am so incredibly thankful for them.  Here are a couple of pictures from our most recent trip. 

















Whenever we stayed at her house, she made us feel like royalty.  She always decorated with beautiful decorations and used her finest china dishes.  She always bought tons of expensive and delicious Norwegian foods and treats for us.  When I think of my Grandma Mish, I think of a completely selfless person.  She was always going out of her way to do service for others.  She would never rest.  It was like she would always come up with something to do for someone.  She was also the best cook I have ever met.  Her cakes were absolutely incredible. 



I think that most of us would agree that our favorite was her Rom Kake.  Mmmm..just thinking about it makes my mouth water.  Paul loved her apple cake best.  She taught me how to make Norwegian Grøt last year for Porter and he loves it.  Here is some of her handwritten recipes. 




  She had the best laugh out of anyone I knew.  She would laugh with all of her soul.  I am going to miss her so much.  I don’t think anyone is ever ready to lose someone so close. No one can replace our loved ones.  But I am so thankful for the comfort that I have because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I sincerely believe that she is happily reunited with family and friends.  Mish had some health problems and some pain and it fills me with so much joy to know that she is not in any pain or suffering at all anymore.
I don’t know how I would handle such loss without the knowledge that there is life after death. It’s not the end, but the beginning of so many amazing things we can’t even comprehend. Still, it seems like such a long separation when we lose someone so wonderful.  But I know that we will see our Mish again.  I am so thankful for all that I have learned from her.  So grateful that she is my Grandma. 

5 comments:

Shirley said...

That was such a beautiful post and tribute to your grandma! I had no idea that it was unexpected. I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm so glad that you both had such a close relationship, especially with the distance between you. I know that a relationship like that is special. And even though her life was cut short, she seems to have done so much and loved so much in life. I too am grateful for the gospel. I can't wait to see my mother-in-law and get to know her a little better. And also see my Grandpa and hear his stories again. It's a beautiful thing. I hope you're doing okay. Let me know if we can come up and keep you busy if you'd like. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for putting this up Emily! I'm so grateful for Mish, she brought alot of joy in our family. I'm grateful I had the opportunity to spend time with her too. These pictures & stories you shared were wonderful to hear (:
love, Whitney

Terri Frandsen said...

As Shirley said, that truly was a beautiful tribute to your grandma! You are so lucky to have had such a wonderful relationship with her. My dad's mom died when I was I think 10 so I felt like I never really got to know her but I still remember the love she had for her grandchildren and how much joy they brought into her life. I am grateful that I will be able to spend time with her after this life because of the gospel. My condolences to you and your family! Love you!

Annie said...

Emily, Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful memory of your Grandma. I always looked forward to her visits to the U.S. She was a very special lady. I love you. DeAnn

Scott and Sara said...

I never was able to meet your sweet Grandma, but I sure do love her! I am so sorry she is not here anymore. It will be the most amazing reunion when you are all together again!!