Friday, September 25, 2009

3rd Marathon=Logan Marathon

WARNING: LONG POST..Sorry.. don't feel like you have to read all of it!!!! :)

Last weekend I ran my third marathon. I have absolutely no clue why I decided to run another one. I was AWFUL at training this time around. It was so incredibly hard to get my butt out the door to run. I used Porter as an excuse but most of the time it was just me being lazy. Paul and I procrastinated big time and forgot to book a hotel in Logan for Friday night early enough...by the time we tried.. EVERYWHERE was alread booked out! Luckily my Mom has some friends who let us stay in their condo in Ogden for the weekend. That helped things a lot because I only had to drive about 45 minutes to Logan for my marathon Saturday morning. Friday night my mom, Paul, Porter and I first went up to the "Abbey of Our Lady of the Holy Trinity" Monestary to hear the monks chant in their church.
It was extremely fascinating to me to see. I also felt a great deal of sadness when I think of the isolated lives that they choose to lead. Porter started grunting very loud and Paul's phone went off in the middle of their service which was extremely embarrasing.. but besides those 2 moments.. we enjoyed ourselves very much. Afterwards we all went out to eat at a resteraunt up Ogden canyon called "The Oaks". It was Paul's first time there and so we were very excited to take him there. My Mom and I had been for our first time a couple of months ago. My mom and I had pasta, bread and salad which was to die for. Paul, unfortunately, ordered a chicken cordon bleu which was tastey but the portions were bird sized..poor guy. Afterwards we headed up to the condo for the night. The condo was BEAUTIFUL!! We put two comfy chairs together to make Porter a bed in our room and he slept wonderfully..(only waking up for a couple of seconds when he heard me leave for the marathon). I was busy getting everything together for the marathon and braiding my hair that by the time I finally got to bed, I was only able to sleep for 3 hours before having to get up at 3:40AM to drive to Logan. I ate the rest of my pasta on the ride up and also chewed on a cliff bar and drank a yummy glucose energy drink! When I arrived in Logan I had only 5 minutes to pick up my packet and load the bus for the ride up the canyon to the start of the race. I sat next to 2 girls who were very nervous for running their first marathons. They had a whole bunch of questions for me which were a lot of fun to answer. I could pretend I knew something about marathons! :) Sitting behind us on the bus was this guy that said that he recognized me from somewhere but couldn't figure it out. He finally found out that we had both ran Ogden Marathon last year and he had recognized me from the bon fires that we stood around before the race started. He asked me to run with him throughout the marathon. We ran together for the first 8 miles and he wanted to get a 3h:30m time so he pushed me way to hard. Finally I told him that he was going to have to go ahead because I was too out of shape to keep up with him. So he left, and I was pretty thankful for that. At about mile 16, I stepped in a pothole and sprained my ankle. I had to get it taped and the paramedic guy sprayed some incredible pain killer stuff on it which helped a lot.
Throughout the whole marathon, they only had 2 stops which had GU. I was so frustrated about that because usually towards the end of the run when you are so tired..almost every station has GU.. so I was very disappointed about that. Well, I finally finished my marathon at 5h15m which was an absolutely AWFUL time. My best marathon time was 4:30 (Ogden Marathon).. and so this race was 45 minutes worse than my best time! Oh well.. at least I finished. I am going to have to run another marathon this Spring to make up my time. I am thinking probably the Bear Lake marathon in June!! :) After the marathon, Paul had to drive home to finish his homework but my Mom, Porter and I stayed Saturday night up at the condo. Natasha and her boyfriend Colby also came up for the night. We went out to "The Oaks" resteraunt for dinner Saturday night as well. I orderd a vegie sandwhich was to die for. I love that resteraunt..soooo delicious. We had an awesome weekend!! :)

4 comments:

Shirley said...

I'm glad you had such a good time! Again, you are absolutely amazing! Maybe someday I will start running. :)

G&D said...

Hurrah EMily!!!!!!!!!!!! You are an inspiration to us all!!!!!!!!!

EvaandJosiah said...

Wow, such a cute little Norweigan Boy!!! I can't wait to have one on one time with him on Sunday!

Cerra said...

Emily you are incredible and you look great! The pace you ran 26+ miles is the pace I run 3. You are so good! Keep up the good work. I am very proud of you. :-)

Love you!