Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Syttende Mai

May 17th is Norwegian Independence Day.  Every year we celebrate it by attending a celebration at the International Peace Gardens in SLC.  We love it.  It is so important to me that my children learn about and will hopefully grow to love Norwegian traditions and culture.  The kids love marching in the parade.  This year it was raining so we didn’t get very many pictures, but we still had a great time.  And the rain was perfect since it rains all of the time in Norway.

DSC00183DSC00184

DSC00185

DSC00186

DSC00190

But our absolute most favorite part is definitely eating the Norwegian hotdogs wrapped in a potato pancake bread (Polse med lompe) and drinking solo (an amazing orange soda pop).  It is so delicious. Thinking about it makes my mouth water.  We look forward to eating these all year long. 

DSC00191

DSC00192

DSC00196

DSC00193DSC00195

That evening we had our family over for a Norwegian dinner.  I have my Grandmothers (Solveig’s.. but we called her Mish) recipe book.  I decided to make three of her cakes that I remember her making.  I made her blote kake (cream cake), her Rom Kake (Rum cake), and her Eple Kake (Apple cake).  They didn’t even come close to tasting as good as hers tasted, but it was fun to see her handwriting on the recipes and trying to make something I remember her making.  I miss her so much and wish she could have been with us this day.  So grateful for all of the memories we have of her.

DSC00199

DSC00205

syttende mai3

DSC00208

DSC00213

DSC00217

My Mom bought this cute little shirt for Owen that says ‘Lil Norsk’ (Little Norwegian) and I thought it was so cute so I had to take some pictures of him in it for 17th May! Smile  Thanks Mama! Smile

Owen

owen2

owen3

GRATULERER MED SYTTENDE MAI!!!  HAPPY 17TH OF MAY

No comments: