Sunday, September 13, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend

We had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.  Memorial Day was a beautiful day and so we let the kids have fun playing in the water. 

DSC00259

DSC00262

DSC00268

Then that night we had a little campout where we let the kids set up the tent and told stories and had a lot of fun playing in tent.  Then we ordered some yummy food and had a little picnic in the backyard.  Unfortunately it started storming that night so we weren’t able to actually have a camp out.. so hopefully sometime soon we can have an actual campout in the backyard! Smile

DSC00269

DSC00274

DSC00284

DSC00286

DSC00275

DSC00277

DSC00280

This year we didn’t make it to visit the cemeteries until a couple of days after memorial day.  We were sad that Paul had to work and wasn’t able to come with us this year.  But I am grateful that I was able to take the boys.   First we went to the the Mountain View Estates in Cottonwood Heights.  This is where Paul’s brother Robert and his half brother TJ, and our niece Jordan is buried.  Robert and his daughter Jordan share the same headstone and it is absolutely beautiful. 

DSC00355

DSC00352

DSC00353

DSC00356

This cemetery is definitely one of our favorites.  It is so big and beautiful and taken care of so well.  I could just wander and wander around it all day.  The boys loved wandering around as well.  Just a relaxing and beautiful place.

DSC00359

DSC00360

DSC00363

DSC00365

DSC00368

DSC00370

DSC00372

DSC00375

DSC00376

DSC00377

Next we went to visit the Elysian Burial Gardens in Millcreek.  This is where my Grandpa Haslam is buried along with my Uncle Craig (who just died a couple of months before).  I also have my Great Grandparents, Great Great Grandparents, numerous great uncles and aunts, etc. buried there.  Here the boys are bringing balloons and flowers to my Grandpas and uncles grave.   

DSC00380

DSC00382

Sitting by Their Great Grandpa Haslams grave.

DSC00384

DSC00385

DSC00388

DSC00398

DSC00386

We have had a tradition for the last couple of years to bring some single flowers to run around the cemetery and put on the graves that don’t have any flowers on them.  The boys love this!

DSC00387

DSC00393

DSC00395

I love visiting the cemeteries and teaching my children about their ancestors.  I love telling them stories about my Grandpa and those other family members that I remember. I need to make it a goal to get to the beautiful cemeteries more often.  Hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day.

No comments: