Both of our boys were home sick with ear infections and pink eye for Memorial Day. So a couple of days later, when they were feeling a little better, we headed to Elysian Burial Grounds in Salt Lake City to pay a visit to some of our family members. Here is Porter with the map that shows us to to find the graves that we were looking for. He was so excited to help find them.
First we visited my Grandpa Haslam. I miss him so much. I wish that Porter and Kaden could have met him. I have a lot of wonderful memories of him, and it was a lot of fun for me to share some of them with Porter as we laid flowers on his grave.
Kaden was very interested in the flowers. He even had to have a taste of one…whoops!
I gave Porter some flowers to put on the graves that didn’t have any flowers. He thought that was a lot of fun. Here he is with his flowers. He was so cute. And sweet little Kaden had fun chasing Porter.
And here are Kaden and Porter with our Pioneer ancestor, Henry Haslam, and his wife Sarah Haslam. So neat to see their graves.
And here are Porter and Kaden with my Great Grandparents on my Dad’s Mom’s side. Their names are Emily and Edward Rynearson.
And then we went to visit my Great Uncle Ted (Edward). I have so many memories of him and I miss him. He bought me my baptismal dress which was pretty special. I also remember him buying orange sticks for all of us every Christmas and we always looked forward to them every year.
I love visiting cemeteries. I love the peaceful feeling that is felt here. I am glad that I was able to bring Porter and Kaden along and hopefully show them a little, the importance of family history and our wonderful ancestors. Porter really enjoyed and has asked to go back to visit a couple of times. I need to make it more of a priority, and get us there more often.
1 comment:
My boys loved the cemetery too. And there is such a peaceful feeling there. I love how you guys put flowers on graves that didn't have any. How special!
Post a Comment