Thursday, May 21, 2009

Syttende Mai (17th of May)

Last Saturday we celebrated Syttende Mai (the 17th of May) which is the Norwegian Constitution Day. Norway’s constitution was signed in 1814 in the town of Eidsvoll, Norway giving Norway independence from its 500 year union with Denmark. It is an official national holiday each year in Norway. Syttende Mai is a very colorful, gala, family-oriented affair with many people dressed in their best spring clothes, with a Norwegian flag or May 17 ribbon pinned to their lapel. It has become increasingly popular to wear the national dress, the bunad, on this occasion. The bunad varies in appearance from region to region and the magnificent sight of national costumes from all over the country is one of the reasons why this day truly represents a celebration of Norwegian tradition and history.There are folk dancing performances, parades of children and adults carrying flags and singing, exhibits of Norwegian rosemaling (painting) and hardanger (needlework), woodcarving, Norse costume style show, Norwegian church services, smorgasbord of Norwegian foods, a variety of musical performances.



Every 17th of May at the Peace Gardens in Salt Lake City, Syttende Mai is celebrated. This was Pauls first time going. I bought some red, white and blue ribbon from the store and Paul made us little festive ribbons to wear on our clothes. Porter even got a little one. We were pretty disappointed because we were 1 1/2 hours late and by the time we got there all of the food and entertainment were already being taken down and so we missed everything. We did get to hang out with my Mom's Norwegian cousin Jon-Kjetil and his daughter Mia for a while and that was a lot of fun. Next year we need to make sure that we are early. My Mom did surprise us for dinner with yummy Norwegian polser (hotdogs)! DELICIOUS!!

I had the opportunity 4 years ago to be in Oslo (the capital of Norway) during the 17th of May. It has so much fun to watch the huge parade of Norwegians march down the famous street of Karl Johans Gate ending up at the Norwegian Palace (Slottet). We even saw the Norwegian Prince Haakon and Queen Sonja waving from the palace. It was a wonderful experience!! I included some pictures of my sister Donna and I in Norwegian bunads (traditional costumes) that we took while were in Norway. I am so thankful for my Norwegian heritage!!

1 comment:

G&D said...

I wish we could have all been there together! Next year for sure! I love the pictures you included :) Can you believe the picture of you and I in the bunads was taken almost 10 years ago?! Wow - time flies. Love you Em - glad you could at least see the beautiful Norwegian flags!