Wednesday, November 19, 2008




Week 26
Me at week 26^

26 weeks is the last week of the second trimester. Wow it is going by so fast! Only 14 more weeks to go. It's crazy to look back on this blog when I was just at 8 weeks. The pregnancy is going well except for the last couple weeks I have had awful heart burn, and I have had an extremely hard time sleeping. Paul was nice and let me buy a pretty expensive pregnancy pillow which has helped me sleep a lot better. I cannot believe how much weight I have gained.. I think I am to the max of average weight gain during pregnancy, and I still have 3 months to go..WHOOPS! I need to start exercising a lot more than I have been and eat a lot healthier!!Today we went in for our 26th week appointment (We are currently 25 weeks and 5 days)!! I wish we could have had an ultrasound, but we didn't. Instead, I got measured for the first time. We were told that we measured at exactly 26 weeks.. which means that the baby is now 2 days bigger than average... He caught up 6 days from our last appointment!!!! :-) We also were able to hear his heartbeat which is always fun!! I also got tested for gestational diabetes, which meant having to get poked by scary needles, and will find out the results of that test in the next couple of days. I talked to the doctor about my issue of not being able to sleep well at all, and I was told that I can safely take Tylenol PM to help me sleep... YESSSSSSSS!! That was honestly the best news that I have heard in a very long time!!!!!!! My sleepless days are over!! I can't believe that in a week from tomorrow, we only have 3 months left!! I am so excited to finally be able to meet little Craven junior. Here are some interesting facts about week 26! ENJOY!!

Your baby's developed oil and sweat glands are now functioning. His fingernails, toenails, eyebrows and eyelashes are now fully present and will continue to grow until birth. He can respond to sound and can hear you and those around you. Although we assume that the uterus is a quiet place, the baby has been surrounded by noise for a long time. Things like your heartbeat, digestion, other body functions and external noises are heard by the baby. In fact, you may feel the baby jump at a sudden noise. Your baby is now about 14 inches and weighs a little less than two pounds.
The uterus also allows some light to be seen so your baby is aware of light and dark. Your baby's skin is wrinkled and translucent and may have a reddish color due to the presence of dermal blood vessels. Veins are visible through your baby's skin, although it is quickly changing from transparent to opaque. The following months will see increase in body fat. The lungs continue to mature with the development of air sacs and also begin to secrete surfactant (a substance that will help your baby's lungs expand at birth). At this stage of development the various organs have formed. About 4 out of 10 babies born now may survive (with intensive care services).

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Hey Emily! You look so cute!! You were so skinny to start with that I wouldn't worry about the weight. You'll probably burn it right off! I'm glad everything is going well. I hope that the Tylenol PM helps you with sleeping. I can't believe you're almost to the third trimester! SO crazy!

I found your blog on facebook. Mine is jaredandshirleyhale.blogspot.com if you're interested. I hope you get sleeping soon! :)

Cerra said...

Emy you are such a beautiful prego woman. Thanks for the update! Love you.

Razzleberry said...

It is such an exciting time! However, if you think you are having trouble sleeping now, wait till junior is born. If he is like his Daddy, you won't get get very much then either!

Love you guys!