Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Weekend at the cabin!!


For the past year or more, my Norwegian uncles and grandma and all of my siblings have been planning a surprise visit/party for my Mom. Since it is always long periods of time between the visits she gets with her family in Norway, we thought it would be fun for them to give her a surprise visit. We rented a beautiful cabin for the weekend in the Heber mountains and catered and made a lot of delicious food. We wished that all of my Mom's brothers could be there but because of money and other obligations, only three of them (Thor-Erik, Frank, and Ole) were able to come, but we were so glad that they were able to make it. Her Mom Solveig and uncle Kjetil and his wife Bente and daughter Mia also came which was so much fun. We were lucky to get the cabin for three nights. The Norwegians arrived on Thursday, and my brothers Teddy and Shane and I picked them up from the airport and it was so nice to take them straight to the cabin. The next morning, the Norwegians and my brothers got the cabin all decorated and ready for the party, while I ran to my sister Donna's house and prepared the rest of the food. We made over 150 rolls.. we had a lot of fun. My brother Erik and sister in law Dara, were so awesome to bring all of the food that we had catered up to the cabin, while I brought all of the prepared food. Donna and her husband Geoff "kidnapped" and blindfolded my Mom and drove her up to the cabin. It was was so much fun to see my Mom's reaction when she took off her blindfold and saw her Norwegian family!! It was classic! We had such a fun weekend. It was so incredibly relaxing. The cabin was 3 stories and was fully loaded with a ping pong table, pool table, jacuzzi, washer and dryer, all of the kitchen supplies you would ever need, enough beds and rooms to sleep all 18 of us, and movies and games, etc. It was pretty dang awesome. It was so much fun. It was so peaceful up there. We had such a great time talking and laughing and enjoying eachothers company. A couple of times, my Mom and I, took wonderful long walks in the forest. We also spent one of the days up there exploringPark City and ate at a really nice steakhouse. I decided up there that someday when I am rich, I am going to buy a cabin. A lot of my pictures were fuzzy because I am lousy at taking pictures, but when I get copies from my family of our awesome cabin experience, I will definitely add them!!










1 comment:

Ben and Debs Aplanalp said...

Emily!!!! Ahhh I had no idea you had a blog, or maybe you told me and I forgot! I loved reading about your family visiting from Norway!!! Oh my goodness!!! I love your family and you! So cute and seriously so stinkin thoughtful you were able to surprise your Mom! I remember Dara and Erik telling me about the surprise for your Mom, glad it was successful! Miss you, and so excited for you to have the baby soon! Love ya!